Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Multiple Intelligences in the Classroom

After taking the multiple intelligences inventory I have discovered that my core intelligences are logical and intrapersonal thinking. As a math major the inventory results are correct in displaying that I have a logical intelligence. Linear reasoning is one core characteristic of logical thinking that I follow. In my life I have always tried to keep order and consistency in my life. This includes keeping my room clean, having a consistent schedule and having a place and time for everything. It is rare for me to do something spontaneously and without notice. Abstract and concrete reasoning are also core characteristics of logical thinking. Through my study of math I use these characteristics often by breaking equations apart to find the answer and using many symbols to represent numbers and other mathematical terms. It is not just in my major that I use these characteristics but also in my life especially when there is a problem I have to deal with. I like to break down the problem and search for all answers before I come to a conclusion on how I should solve or deal with it. I believe that logical intelligence is a major factor in the way I think.
The multiple intelligence inventory also said that I think interpersonally. The core characteristics of this intelligence fit my personality and way of thinking perfectly. Throughout my life I have had the knowledge of my feelings, thoughts and emotions everyday and I attempt to monitor them at my best ability. These traits are a representation of the characteristics of affective awareness and self-regulation. Ethical awareness is another trait that I live by through the wanting to keep strong morals and principles in my life. As a child I grew up in a family that believed in being the best person you can and through being a Christian and living my life off of Biblical knowledge has created me to have strong morals. The results of the multiple intelligence test describes my life entirely.
Students who think logically will have many traits that create order and scientific reasoning. They can often see relationships between ideas, numbers and thoughts. The students are often fond of math, enjoying solving puzzles, manipulating functions and solving problems. They take ideas and analyze them fully to see every aspect and feature before making a conclusion and thought about it. With all of this said, the students are able to do all of these traits at a faster pace than many other students. Students will tend to lead toward science as well do to their mechanical way of thinking then English or art do to the creativity needed in these subjects.
To be able to support my classroom that have students who think logically I need to create structure and order to support their intelligence. There are many ways of doing this including by setting goals. This will allow them to see what is to come. Another way of doing this is by giving the students criteria and instructions before an activity giving them structure. To be able to accommodate their problem solving trait a teacher can assign puzzles and open-ended problems within their lecture. A teacher can encourage debate, assign experiments that create the student to test a hypothesis and provide story problems that take thought. If teachers follow these actions that can easily reach out to the particular students.
Students who think logically often enjoy technologies that are connected to science and math. This includes the basic ruler, graphing calculator and problem solving tasks. Other mathematical tools include measuring cups, scales, graphing charts and spread sheets. But for some technologies that are different that will intrigue the student into the information getting taught include unifix cubes, search engines and Cuisenaire rods. All of these technologies can create a classroom that have involved, hands on projects that can strive the students to want to learn the material. If the teacher provides them with these tools it can create the classroom to be enjoyable and fun.
As I have learned about learning styles and multiple intelligences I have discovered that all of my lesson plans will need diversity to reach to every student’s own way of thinking. As I am becoming a future math teacher I will need to focus on not only leaning toward logical thinking, being my main intelligence that is focused mostly on mathematical thinking it will be a challenge of mine. So through this knowledge I plan to take time while making lesson plans on how I will be able to reach all types of intelligences so no student will be left out. I not only want to reach the students who think logically but also rhythmically, linguistically and visually. For every teacher this can be a challenge but great teachers will take the time away to create activities, lectures and group work so no child will be left behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment